Four students receive Department of Defense SMART Scholarship

Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Four students within the College of Engineering and Physical Sciences were recently awarded a Science, Mathematics, and Research for Transformation (SMART) scholarship through the Department of Defense (DoD).

Students selected in the most recent round of winners were Lilian Stewart ’19, Kyle Riesert ’18, Jordan Bates ’18 and Olivia Myers ’18. The University has previously had six other students receive a SMART scholarship, all of whom were students within CEPS.

“UNH students in the STEM fields have proven very attractive to the DoD facilities selecting SMART scholars,” said Jeanne Sokolowski, director of the UNH Office of National Fellowships. “This is our fifth year in a row with at least one SMART Scholar.

“I hope more students will consider applying in the future, as this scholarship offers the opportunity to offset the cost of a college education and secure employment after graduation.”

The SMART scholarship is awarded to college students in STEM-related fields following an application and interview process. Once accepting a scholarship offer, students receive full tuition and education-related fees, a $25,000 to $38,000 annual stipend, summer research opportunities and employment placement within the DoD after graduation. All four students have already secured placements with host facilities and will visit  them in the coming months prior to participating in their internship the following summer.  

Established in 2005, the UNH Office of National Fellowships provides information, counsel, and editorial support to highly motivated and high achieving students applying for national and international fellowships and scholarships like the SMART Scholarship. Interested students are encouraged to contact the director, Jeanne Sokolowski, at Jeanne.sokolowski@unh.edu or 603-862-0733.

award winner

Lilian Stewart

Lilian Stewart ’19 is a mechanical engineer major from Ipswich, Mass. She will begin her internship at the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard in the summer of 2017.

“I hope to apply the mathematics, physics, and other engineering skills I learn at UNH,” said Stewart of her internship placement. “Also, I hope to become comfortable as an engineer, and learn the real-life skills that school can't quite prepare us for.”

Stewart is a member of the Society of Women Engineers, the Mechanical Engineering Department’s advisory board and on the UNH ultimate Frisbee team. She applied for the SMART scholarship in order to reduce the financial burden of college and provide for more opportunities upon graduation.

“This scholarship motivates me to keep on top of my game here at UNH,” she said. “Also, I wanted to have a great first job and easy transition into my career. I am eager to discover the benefits of working for the DoD in beautiful Portsmouth. Working at the Department of Defense is certainly a positive addition to my resume.”

award winner

Kyle Riesert

Kyle Riesert ’18 is a mechanical engineering major from Plymouth, New Hampshire. He will begin his DoD placement at the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard in the summer of 2017.

“I have always had an interest in the Department of Defense and the type of engineering involved at the DoD,” said Riesert. “I hope to gain some insight into how technology is being incorporated into our nation's defense, and obviously the valuable work experience that comes with this program.”

The sophomore is a defensive end on the UNH football team and was selected to the conference’s all-academic team. The honors program member also took part in the Research Experience and Apprenticeship Program under Prof. Brad Kinsey during Riesert’s freshman year.

He plans to eventually pursue a Master’s degree in either aerospace or mechanical engineering.

award winner

Olivia Myers

Olivia Myers ’18 is a mathematics major from Lisbon, NH. She will begin her internship at Hanscom Air Force Base in Massachusetts in the summer of 2017.

Myers applied for the scholarship to alleviate the financial burden of paying for higher education and to secure a career opportunity upon graduation.

“I'm excited to see the applications of my degree in the real world and get experience in different areas of cost estimating,” said Myers. “I want to see if it's something I'd want to continue doing.”

The sophomore is a member of the mathematics honor society, Pi Mu Epsilon.

award winner

Jordan Bates

Jordan Bates ’18 is a computer science major from Claremont, New Hampshire. He has selected the Cold Regions Research and Development Center in Hanover, New Hampshire.

He will begin his on-site internship this summer. Bates has previously worked at the site in high school as a computer programmer.

“I’m hoping to gain valuable experience in my field,” said Bates. “I will be working on real projects with large teams so it is a great opportunity to grow.”

Departments: 
Computer Science
Mathematics & Statistics
Mechanical Engineering