Before You Travel

Prior to making travel arrangements, coordinate your plans with the Department Chair and review all applicable travel policies.  For international travel, register your travel plans in the International Travel Registry to comply with important safety and security protocols.  Your BSC rep can also explain the policies relating to your trip.

Making Travel Arrangements

USNH travelers are expected to exercise good judgment when incurring travel costs, regardless of the funding source. Business travel expenses will be paid by USNH if they are reasonable, properly authorized, appropriately documented with a well-defined, compelling business purpose, and within the guidelines of the USNH travel policies.

  • Air and Rail Reservations: Your BSC rep can make your reservations or you may contact Patty Cook at University Travel at or 868-5970.  All foreign travel that is funded by a grant requires prior approval from Sponsored Program Administration (SPA).
  • Conference Registration and Hotel Reservations: Provide a completed conference registration form and hotel requirements to your BSC rep for processing and prepayment.
  • International Travel Assistance & Insurance: UNH provides an Emergency Travel Assistance Service and Travel Insurance Program to students, faculty and staff traveling abroad on University-related activities. Familiarize yourself with the details of the program should you experience a medical emergency or security/natural disaster crisis, need a medical referral, lose your medication, or want to consult experts for pre-travel advice.
  • Mileage Rate: Use of your personal vehicle for travel will be reimbursed according to the current Federal mileage reimbursement rate.  This rate is intended to cover expenses for gas and wear and tear on your vehicle.
  • Rental Cars: Use a University purchasing card (pcard) for car rentals and decline the collision damage waiver (CDW) and loss damage waiver (LDW) as this coverage is provided under the MasterCard contract. Travelers who are eligible for the USNH MasterCard will not be reimbursed for CDW or LDW charges if they accept the coverage or choose to use another means of payment.  Contact your BSC rep to obtain a copy of the insurance card before travelling. Access the rental vehicle link here.
  • Tips: Tips will be reimbursed up to 20% of the cost of the meal or taxi cab fare. The per diem rate includes an allowance for tips.
  • Receipts: Receipts are not required if you choose to be reimbursed on a per diem basis. Also, receipts are not required for incidental expenses that are less than $25 per item (tolls, parking, taxi, bus, etc.). Detailed receipts are required for all other expenses.  Business expenses that are paid in foreign currency will be converted to US dollars according to the currency conversion tool unless the USD equivalent is included on the receipt.
  • Lodging: Travelers are allowed reimbursement of up to $25/night without receipts when staying with friends or family in lieu of a hotel. When requesting reimbursement for actual lodging expenses, an itemized hotel bill and proof of payment are required.
  • Meals: There are two (2) options available to be reimbursed for meals: per diem allowance or actual expenses. Per diem should be used when business related travel involves overnight stays. The amount should not exceed the Federal per diem rates for meals and incidental expenses. If actual expenses are approved for use, original itemized receipts are required for all meal expenses, regardless of the amount.
  • Unallowable Expenses: The following expenses are generally not reimbursable: meal expenses for day trips, alcoholic beverages, meal expenses in lieu of those provided in registration fees, tips in excess of 20% and meals for spouses or other personal travel companions.  Please consult the policy on non-reimbursable expenses for a complete list.

After Your Trip

To request reimbursement for travel expenses after your trip, complete a Personal Reimbursement Request form.  Be sure to attach all original receipts (e.g. itemized hotel statement, airline tickets, car rental agreement).  Reimbursement requests must be completed within 10 business days after returning from your trip.