ENVIRONMENTAL ENGINEERING RESEARCH OPPORTUNITIES INCLUDE:
- Drinking water treatment processes for small and developing communities
- Post-treatment aeration systems
- Slow sand, gravel roughing, riverbank, diatomaceous earth and membrane filtration systems
- Innovative arsenic removal systems
- Photolysis and advanced oxidation processes as a total water solution
- Technologies for phosphorus recovery and reuse
- Innovative technologies for inactivation of pathogens on solid surfaces
- Sustainable engineering applications and analysis
- Contaminated sediment remediation technologies
Geotechnical Engineering group at UNH offer a variety of geotech related courses and research areas from field to laboratory testing and from numerical to physical modeling. Exceptional equipment and facilities provide a unique opportunities fro learning and research for undergraduate and graduate students.
Civil Engineering Materials research at UNH focuses on asphalt and portland cement concrete pavements, specifically with material characterization and testing in the laboratory. The Materials group performs work with recycled materials, including reclaimed asphalt pavement (RAP), recycled asphalt shingles (RAS) and recycled portland cement concrete. These include laboratory performance evaluation as well as performance of pavements in service.
RESEARCH OPPORTUNITIES INCLUDE:
- Smart buildings and infrastructure
- Transportation technology transfer center
- Performance-based engineering
- Earthquake engineering
- Structural risk assessment
The Hydrology and Water Resources Engineering group focuses efforts on field monitoring of systems and their representation in numerical and/or spatial models. Ongoing research includes: stormwater management, remote sensing, adaptation to climate change, and stream restoration, to name a few.