Electrical and Computer Engineering (M.Eng.)

Electrical and Computer Engineering (M.Eng.)

ECE Laboratory

UNH’s master’s program in electrical and computer engineering will give you the skills and knowledge to build the career you desire and reach your maximum earning potential. Explore relevant courses in areas like business and law and take advantage of cutting-edge tools and instruction in a program that has propelled graduates to careers with the likes of Apple, Google and Dell.

Credit Hours: 30   |    Courses: 10   |    Program Length: 1-2 years


Why get a Master of Engineering degree in electrical and computer engineering?

An advanced degree in engineering can be the key to unlocking your career potential or becoming an entrepreneur. In fact, you may earn beyond $15,000 more annually compared to those with an undergraduate degree alone. Through UNH’s electrical and computer engineering program, youll be introduced to advanced tools related to your field of interest, and youll have the flexibility to take coursework in areas including business, law and mathematics to propel your career in the direction you want. Our faculty conduct research in areas including computer networking, wireless communication systems, embedded computing, human-computer interaction, digital signal and image processing, biomedical instrumentation, controls, and VLSI.

Why choose UNH’s electrical and computer engineering program?

At UNH, youll have the opportunity to choose a path that reflects your career goals. You’ll enroll in courses that provide cutting-edge technical tools, as well as courses that help you connect your technical knowledge to a diverse set of disciplines related to the human experience. Additionally, you’ll gain technical experience in one of the world’s leading testing facilities for network and data communication products, utilized by the likes of Apple, Google, Dell and other leading technology companies. You’ll also have the chance to put your skills on display at international competitions, such as the Embedded Security Challenge.

Potential career areas

  • Advanced manufacturing
  • Aerospace and defense
  • Automotive and Manufacturing industries
  • Biomedical engineering
  • Embedded computer systems
  • Integrated circuits and systems design industries
  • Internet of Things (IoT)
  • Medical IoT
  • Robotics and Artificial Intelligence
  • Telecommunications Industries


Request Information

We use text messages to communicate important event and application information (msg and data rates may apply).

Frequently Asked Questions

Bachelor or master degrees in electrical engineering, computer engineering or related fields. We take a holistic view of all your application materials, so we do not have an absolute GRE or GPA minimum. However, in most cases applicants should have a GRE Quantitative score at 50th percentile or higher, and a GRE Analytic Writing score of at least 3.0, and a GPA above 3.0 on a 4-point scale. For international students, the university requires that an applicant's TOEFL (Internet Based) score be at least 80, or have an IELTS score of at least 6.5.

Many of our graduate students receive financial aid, often in the form of teaching assistantships, and research assistantships, as well as full and partial scholarships. Most of these opportunities requires you to identify a research advisor in our faculty, who will need to endorse your case through the application process. In order to learn more, review our faculty directory and get it touch with a member that shares your research interest.

Applications must be completed by the following deadlines in order to be reviewed for admission:

Fall: March 1 (for funding); April 1 (for all, except UNH accelerated M.S. students for whom the deadline is August 1)

Spring: December 1

International students need to allow enough time to apply for a visa after being admitted to the program. For those who apply for the Fall semester, most financial aid offers are made in early March. The ability to obtain financial aid after that time is very limited. There is also very little aid available for spring applicants.
It takes the Graduate Committee roughly three weeks to review an application. After a decision has been made, we will inform the Graduate School and they will let you know our decision.

Though some courses are offered online, many of the courses in our program are only offered as in-person. Students can complete the program as part-time or full-time.

The graduate committee pay special attention to personal statements, GRE/TOEFL exam scores and recommendation letters during the evaluation of the application materials. Applicants to the Ph.D. program should always contact potential faculty research advisors before submitting their application, and explicitly state their interest to work with a specific faculty member in their application material.

Curriculum & Requirements

Our MEng program will prepare students for a professional career in industry by offering both cutting-edge engineering courses and its applications to solving practical problems. The training offered from our program will increase the breadth and depth of the students’ electrical and computer engineering knowledge and help them develop the specialized skills in areas including, but not limited to, biomedical engineering, human-computer interaction, wireless communication, integrated circuit design, cybersecurity, control system and robotics, sensor design, wearable electronics, image processing, Internet-of-Things, computer architecture, and medical instrumentation.

Degree Requirements

The graduation requirement for the ECE M.Eng.  degree is based on course credits and concluding experiences. Specifically, students must complete at least 30 credit hours of coursework, with at least 24 credits being earned in the ECE department or related technical disciplines (those disciplines will be determined by the student in conjunction with his/her adviser); of those 24 credit hours in the ECE department, at least 12 must be at the 900 level. Courses outside the ECE department must be approved by the academic advisor. Students must attend 50% of the seminar presentations. The academic advisor will coordinate and keep track of the student’s attendance. The concluding experiences will be in the form of a technical paper suitable for conference publication and two oral technical presentations.

TA and RA positions, scholarships, and tuition waivers are typically not available to M.Eng. students, unless there are special circumstances. All transfers into the ECE M.Eng. program from any of the other three ECE graduate programs will require approval by the ECE Graduate Committee through the existing petition process. If a student holding a TA or RA position in the ECE department transfers into the ECE M.Eng program, they are required to relinquish that position.

Technical Presentation and Paper Requirement

Students in the M.Eng. program are required to submit a technical paper and to deliver two technical presentations as part of their program. Many of the courses in the ECE graduate program require technical reports and presentations, and some of these may be appropriate for satisfying the technical requirement for students in the M.Eng. program. However, there are other approaches for satisfying this requirement as indicated below.

The objective in requiring a technical paper is to ensure that the student has some facility in documenting technical information. The evaluation of that paper is to be performed by the ECE Graduate Committee, and the evaluation will result in either acceptance or rejection of the work submitted. The criterion for technical papers to be considered acceptable is that they describe a contemporary technical concept or development with a high degree of depth and clarity. The student must be the sole author on the technical paper, and it is to be submitted to the chair of the ECE Graduate Committee electronically before the last day of classes. As noted above, technical papers associated with regular ECE graduate courses or independent studies may be used to satisfy the requirement, as are papers prepared for technical conferences or publications. Papers accepted for presentation at refereed conferences or for publication in refereed journals will automatically satisfy the technical paper requirement. For these papers, students can petition to have the sole authorship requirement waived.

The objective in requiring the two oral technical presentations is primarily to ensure that students have the opportunity to present in front of a group. For the technical presentations requirement, presentations need to that fulfill one of the criteria below:

  1. Presentation of a technical lecture (20 minutes or longer) as part of the requirements for a course in which the student is enrolled.
  2. Presentation of a technical lecture in a course as a "stand in" for the faculty member in charge.
  3. Presentation of a technical seminar at UNH or to a public group or industry.
  4. Presentation of a technical paper as part of a professional job function.
  5. Presentation of a paper at a professional technical conference.

It is the responsibility of the student to satisfy this requirement before graduation. Students must get approval from their advisor for any activity that is intended to be used as a technical presentation experience. The two presentations required must be different; giving the same seminar twice does not count as two presentations. If the activity does not fall into one of the five categories listed, prior approval of the ECE Graduate Committee must also be obtained.

The student should submit documentation for the two experiences using the forms found on the ECE website in electronic form to the chair of the ECE Graduate Committee. This should be completed by the last day of classes during the semester of graduation.

This graduate program is approved to be taken on an accelerated basis in articulation with certain undergraduate degree programs.

General Accelerated Master's policy, note that some programs have additional requirements (e.g. higher grade expectations) compared to the policy.

Please see the Graduate School website and contact the department directly for more information.

  • Students will have a basic understanding of the advanced electrical and computer engineering topics related with biomedical engineering, human-computer interaction, wireless communication, integrated circuit design, cybersecurity, control system and robotics, sensor design, wearable electronics, image processing, Internet-of-Things, computer architecture, and medical instrumentation.
  • Students will be trained to solve practical problems and produce a technical report.
  • Students will be well prepared for a professional career in industry.


Applications must be completed by the following deadlines in order to be reviewed for admission:

  • Fall: Feb. 15 (for funding); April 1 (recommended US; final international); July 1 (final)
  • Spring: Dec. 1, Nov. 1 for international students
  • Summer: N/A
  • Special: N/A

Application fee: $65

Campus: Durham

New England Regional: No

Accelerated Masters: Yes (for more details see the accelerated masters information page)

New Hampshire Residents

Students claiming in-state residency must also submit a Proof of Residence Form. This form is not required to complete your application, but you will need to submit it after you are offered admission or you will not be able to register for classes.


If you attended UNH or Granite State College (GSC) after September 1, 1991, and have indicated so on your online application, we will retrieve your transcript internally; this includes UNH-Durham, UNH-Manchester, UNH Non-Degree work and GSC. 

If you did not attend UNH, or attended prior to September 1, 1991, then you must upload a copy (PDF) of your transcript in the application form. International transcripts must be translated into English.

If admitted, you must then request an official transcript be sent directly to our office from the Registrar's Office of each college/university attended. We accept transcripts both electronically and in hard copy:

  • Electronic Transcripts: Please have your institution send the transcript directly to grad.school@unh.edu. Please note that we can only accept copies sent directly from the institution.
  • Paper Transcripts: Please send hard copies of transcripts to: UNH Graduate School, Thompson Hall- 105 Main Street, Durham, NH 03824. You may request transcripts be sent to us directly from the institution or you may send them yourself as long as they remain sealed in the original university envelope.

Transcripts from all previous post-secondary institutions must be submitted and applicants must disclose any previous academic or disciplinary sanctions that resulted in their temporary or permanent separation from a previous post-secondary institution. If it is found that previous academic or disciplinary separations were not disclosed, applicants may face denial and admitted students may face dismissal from their academic program.

Letters of recommendation: 3 required

Recommendation letters submitted by relatives or friends, as well as letters older than one year, will not be accepted.

Test Scores: GRE Required

GRE General test scores are normally required, but UNH ECE alumni with a minimum GPA of 3.0 may request a waiver using our waiver process. Request official test scores to be sent directly to the Graduate School by the testing service. Test scores more than five years old are not acceptable. Student copies and photo copies of scores are not considered official. Our CEEB code is 3918.

Accelerated Master's applicants are not required to submit GRE test scores and will be waived after the application has been submitted by the Graduate School.

For general information about test scores required for admission into our programs please visit our Test Scores webpage.

Personal Statement/Essay Questions

Prepare a brief but careful statement regarding:

  1. Reasons you wish to do graduate work in this field, including your immediate and long-range objectives.
  2. Your specific research or professional interest and experiences in this field.

Important Notes

All applicants are encouraged to contact programs directly to discuss program-specific application questions.

International Applicants

Prospective international students are required to submit TOEFL, IELTS, or equivalent examination scores. English Language Exams may be waived if English is your first language. If you wish to request a waiver, then please visit our Test Scores webpage for more information.

International applicants to this program with low TOEFL scores may be eligible for our Bridge Program.

Explore Program Details

Career Outcomes

take the next step

student outside building on campus
Students on the lawn at Thompson Hall
student at career event